Friday 21 June 2013

Friday Cake - Flowers


While we're still getting our head around the saga that is moving house, still plugging away at the job search and settling into married life, here's some cake from a couple of weeks ago.

I saw this idea in BBC Good Food magazine and was eager to give it a go as we have so many terracotta pots left over from our wedding. I used a different receipe to the suggested orange and almond as I just wanted a quick Friday afternoon bake, so opted for the basic vanilla cupcake recipe from a wonderful book called 500 Cupcakes and Muffins, by Fergal Connolly. This really is my go-to book for quick and tasty cupcakes and muffins - the miniature pineapple upside down cupcakes and the sundried tomato and basil muffins are both on the 'house favourites' list.
 
Points to Note:
  • The oasis could probably do with being (a) larger and (b) a more regular shape. I was using leftovers from our wedding centrepieces.
  • Make the lighter shade first - you can always make this darker for the remaining cakes. I made the pink, then decided I wanted a peachy colour. Didn't work, and my attempts to make purple ended in a lovely, erm, sludge colour, so I had to make a new batch for the peach-coloured cakes.
  • Vanilla flavoured cake works well with the sweetness of the icing.

Terracotta pot, with oasis covered in green paper (instructions use tissue paper; I had mulberry paper so used that)
 
Make the lighter shade of icing first!

 
Green leaves made from roll-out fondant icing - sugarpaste might be better but I wanted to use up leftovers!
 
Use wooden skewers cut in half to fix the cakes to the oasis.


Eat them? Oh, if you insist...






No comments:

Post a Comment